Upcoming Events: CBI Family Trip to Israel



Is it safe to travel to Israel?

Israel is an extremely safe country to visit and tour. In 2012, close to four million tourists came to Israel, an all-time record, and all of them went back home again safe and sound. Sababa Travel would not encourage tourists to visit Israel if we felt they would be in the slightest danger.


Do I need a visa to travel to Israel?

Americans, Canadians and citizens of most western countries* need just a passport to come to Israel: no visa is required. Your passport must be valid for at least six months from the date you enter the country.

*For more information and a list of countries that do not need a visa, Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Stateless persons must hold a valid laissez-passer as well as a visa back to the issuing country.


Sababa Travel recommends that you purchase Travel Insurance to help protect your trip investment and yourself while traveling. We recommend using Allianz Travel Insurance, Travelexinsurance, or Medjetassist.


Can I combine visits to Jordan with my visit to Israel?

Absolutely, many visitors to Israel take a day tour to Petra in Jordan. You can fly between Tel Aviv and Amman, or travel overland through a number of border crossings. (You should check with the Jordan tourist offices if you need to obtain a visa before you leave home.)

Can I choose not to have an Israel stamp in my passport in case I travel to some countries that don’t recognize Israel?

Sure. Israel no longer stamps tourists’ passports. Records are now kept electronically.


You do not have to obtain an international driving permit, but it is recommended. You can visit your local office or apply through the mail. AAA driving permit.


Do I need to receive any special vaccination before my trip to Israel?

Not at all. Israel is an entirely western country with an advanced level of hygiene, health care, diagnosis and medicine that is  on a par with the best of North America and Western Europe. No vaccinations are required to visit Israel.

Can I drink tap water in Israel?

Absolutely: tap water in Israel is safe and delicious. But, you will also find bottled mineral water everywhere. (It’s important to make sure you drink a lot, especially if you are walking, hiking or exercising during hot weather.)


What is the currency in Israel?

The Shekel; you’ll find it abbreviated as NIS (New Israeli Shekel). Exchange rates of the Shekel to all foreign currencies as well as other information can be found at currency converter.

What credit cards are accepted?

You can use your ATM card to obtain Shekels at ATM’s throughout Israel. You can also use American Express, MasterCard and Visa cards at most Israeli hotels, restaurants and stores. MasterCard and Visa are more widly used than American Express.

What taxes can I expect to pay in Israel?

The Vat (Value Added Tax) in Israel is 18%. It’s already included in most prices in Israel. VAT is waived for tourists at hotels, tour companies and car rental agencies. Like in Europe and elsewhere, tourists can receive a refund of the VAT they paid on purchases when departing the country, the refund program and the purchase amount in one tax invoice including V.A.T. must exceed ILS. 400. Claiming your V.A.T. can be done before you go through security. You will need to have your items purchased available for proof of purchase. For more information, click here.


Will I need an adapter for my appliances in Israel?

The electric current in Israel is 220 volts, C, single phase, 50 Hertz, the same as in Europe. Most Israeli sockets are three-pronged but most accept European two-pronged plugs. If your appliance does not work on 220 volts, you will need an adaptor WalkaboutTravelGear Adapters. If your computer or appliance is not dual voltage or designed for 220 volts, you will need a converter or transformer. Most electronics are dual voltage and it is highly unlikely that you will need this. WalkAboutTravelGear converter or transformer

Most hotel bathrooms have hair-dryers as well as low-wattage American-style sockets for electric shavers in which you can usually charge your cell-phone or tablet.


Will I have easy internet access?

Most hotels in Israel have Wi-Fi available for hotel guests at customary prices. Many cafes and restaurants offer a complimentary Wi-Fi service.

Since September 2013, Tel Aviv offers a citywide free Wi-Fi network which provides 80 free Internet “hot spots” across the city.

Cell phones

Per capita, more Israelis have cell phones than any nationality on earth.  If your U.S. cell-phone and/or handheld wireless device is unlocked for international service, it will work automatically in Israel.

Will I be able to use my cell phone in Israel?

Telephone service in Israel is world-class. The country code for Israel is 972. Israeli area codes commence with a zero (e.g. 02-123-4567), so if you calling Israel from overseas, drop the zero (i.e. +972-2-123-4567).

Check with your local provider for international plans.

Can I rent a cellular phone before I leave or in Israel?

It is strongly recommended to rent a cell phone or SIM card before you leave. Travel Cell is very competitively priced and offers safety, security and peace of mind.

While wifi is readily available, Sababa Travel recommends a MiFi rental. It is often more economical to rent a MiFi than purchasing data plans.

If you choose to wait, you can rent a phone or SIM card  when you arrive at the airport. You can prepurchase and pickup/dropoff at Ben Gurion Airport Israel Phones or TalknSave.


What is the weather like in Israel, when is the best time to visit?

Israel is a year-round destination. Israel enjoys long, warm, dry summers and generally mild winters with somewhat drier, cooler weather in hilly regions, such as Jerusalem and Safed. Temperatures can vary widely so just pack for the “right” weather and you’ll be fine.

For more specific information, Israel Meterological Service

What kind of  clothing should I pack?

In Summer, lightweight T-shirts, sleeveless shirts, shorts, and a bathing suit are recommended. Pack a sweater or a jacket for nights in the mountains or the desert,

In Winter, bring long sleeve shirts, sweaters and a scarf, gloves, a warm coat, and a raincoat and an umbrella. Some religious sites require long pants for men and clothing that covers the shoulders and knees for women.


Map of Israel

Contact Us

Sababa Travel
Phone: (908) 347-7785
Fax: (425) 671-2374
Send us an e-mail

Start Your Trip Now!

Fill out our Questionnaire Form to begin planning your trip!